Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Summer Search for the Perfect Park - Day 6

Well the boys were back home after their weekend/Monday with Nana so we resumed our Summer Search for the Perfect Park today.  Let me just tell you that this particular park may not be much to look at.... but it flooded me with sentiment as I took a trip down memory lane.  White City Park, affectionately called "Bear Park" was the park we went to the most when I was a little girl.  I was so nervous turning down the street heading toward the park wondering if any of my favorite features were still there.  Much to my great delight the park is exactly as I remembered it!!! Just with bigger trees LOL (Thank goodness.... I've moved to the peeling stage of the sunburn, but the summer sun and heat still bother my shoulders.)  Anyway, this park has been around at least 25 years, because I remember it always being there in my childhood in Sandy, Utah.  I remember climbing and hanging from the dinosaur.  I remember playing tag from from the shoe... to the circus train car... to the spider... to the castle.  I don't have many memories of the center playground thing with the plastic and slides because it was added near the end of my childhood park-going days if I'm not mistaken.  Oh but the rock elephants.... How we loved to sit on those elephants!!!  So without further ado... White City Park.
 
 
 
 
Here's a funny (ie gross) story from my past at this park.  We had my little brothers 4th or 5th birthday party here in the park.  I would have been 8 or 9.  I specifically remember drinking Orange Sunkist soda.  And I got sick.  Oh so sick.  His birthday is in July, so it was hot.  I started feeling nauseous and ran toward the bathroom to puke.  Except I tripped, fell forward and started vomiting in the grass.  The force of the vomiting caused me to... ummm... .backfire as well?  Yep.  Both ends.  And I specifically remember my dad getting mad at me because I was covered in crap (literally har har) and they didn't know what to do with me to get me home.  Funny how I've blocked out the rest of the memory and have no idea how the logistics of transporting me home worked.  You'd think I'd have blocked the puking/pooping part.  Hmmm.
Okay and as if the park wasn't sentimental enough, I decided to drive my kids past the house I grew up in.  Whooosh..... here comes that flood of memories again.  I really had a lovely growing up time.  I come from a great family.  Incredible parents (even if my dad got mad that I'd made a mess of myself instead of consoling me while ill...)
Then we decided to go to the Living Aquarium Preview Exhibit.  A huge aquarium is planned for downtown Salt Lake sometime in the hopefully near future.  In the meantime they've created a preview exhibit.  I went ahead and bought us a family annual pass and I'm glad we did.  The kids had a great time and I suspect we'll go back fairly frequently :)  Here are a few pics from that little adventure.  Ben liked the sting rays, Brady liked the sharks (even though he looks petrified in the picture with them) and Toby just ooohed and pointed at everything that moved :)  In the fresh water area of the Exhibit there was a boat the kids could "drive" and see themselves basically moving around the lake.  Pretty groovy.
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment